When I first got an instant pot I saw the yogurt function, and I was so skeptical. I didn’t even love yogurt, except for Trader Joe’s yogurt. But I decided to try it, and after failing a few times, I got the hang of it and now my family LOVES homemade yogurt and I do too. I also love knowing all the ingredients in it.
Equipment you’ll need:
- An instant pot with a yogurt setting (I have an 8 quart version)
- An inner ring for the instant pot that is free of strong odors or flavors
- An inner pot that is free of strong odors or flavors
- A large bowl
- Small containers for portioning the yogurt into (I use 4 oz mason jars)
- A large spot in your fridge to allow straining.
- For Greek style yogurt:
- A cheesecloth (or several large coffee filters)
- A large strainer with large holes
- Ultra-pasteurized Whole Milk or Ultra-Filtered Whole Milk (I make 1 gallon at a time)
- A few tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt
- Flavoring (my favorite is Lemon curd because it mixes in smoothly)
Instructions (skip steps 5-7 if you don’t like thick Greek yogurt) :
- Make this around 8-9 pm at night so it’s ready for straining in the morning!
- Pour a little milk and Greek yogurt into your instant pot inner bowl. Whisk it until the yogurt is mixed in. Pour in the rest of the milk.
- Hit the yogurt button on your pot and set it for 10 hours. Put the lid on (not sealing).
- It will count up to 10 hours. When the timer is done, the yogurt should look thick.
- Line your strainer with the cheesecloth or coffee filters. Place your strainer inside a large bowl (you might need an instant pot trivet or something to keep the strainer elevated while it separates). Pour your yogurt mixture into the strainer and notice the whey separating from the curds!
- Place your straining/catching bowls into the fridge and allow to strain for 2-4 hours until it reaches desired thickness.
- Take your separated whey and dump it out or water your plants with it! Using your cheesecloth, grab the curds and pour them into your large bowl that used to hold the whey.
- Whisk until it’s smooth.
- Add flavorings to your desired level!
- Portion into smaller containers for easy snacking.
Are you looking for a way to feel more organized with your meal planning? Check out my 12-month goal setting meal planning planner on Etsy!
Leave a Reply